Justin and Nathan Wu: Father and Son duo who founded Healing Little Heroes Foundation in February 2017, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization which brings Superheroes experience to kids with medical illnesses or disabilities, to lift up their spirits and to help their strength and courage in overcoming their adversities.
Justin is a Surgeon at Kaiser Permanente Medical Center of San Diego, and Nathan was a high school student when he co-founded the organization and now is a sophomore at Harvard Univ.
The Superheroes experience for kids began with a simple Batman (Justin) and Robin (Nathan) visit (with a new Corvette “Batmobile”) to a boy at Kaiser San Diego Hospital. It then blossomed to involve other volunteers and cosplayers groups dressed up as Superheroes. Quickly it expanded to other hospitals visits throughout Southern California with many other cosplayers volunteers which include Star Wars characters, Disney Princesses, and Transformers.
The Healing Little Heroes Foundation expanded to:
- visiting 13 pediatric hospitals/medical clinics and 5 Ronald McDonald Houses throughout So CA.
- participate in community events benefitting kids (such as Miracle Babies which benefit NICU patients and families, Touch-A-Truck to battle Kids Cancer, Race for Autism, Team Parker 4 Life 5K Run to Cure Pediatric Cancer, Children’s Health Fair at Harbor-UCLA and at USC, etc).
- private events surprising kids in need on their birthdays or special milestone days.
- provide Hearing Aids to deaf kids.
- provide specially designed Sports Prostheses to kids/teens missing a limb, allowing them to run, jump, dance, and play sports (instead of the usual insurance-covered walking legs or limited arm prosthetics which are not fit for sports mobility, these special sports prostheses are designed specifically for a sport the child/teen desires).
Recently HLH Foundation has expanded to a pediatric hospital and Ronald McDonald House in Boston, MA, by Nathan since he started college.
Since the COVID-19 Pandemic that began in Spring 2020, our visits have been curtailed. We still, however, have managed to make some pediatric visits and to be active in the community safely. In addition, HLH Foundation has mailed out over 1,000 pediatric COVID masks with superhero or Princess or Transformers designs during it’s campaign to mask kids over 2 years old in 2020.
“We have been blessed to have met so many friends and fellow cosplayers along the way, especially to have met Michael Jaybee Pe and subsequently Kids Can Cosplay (and its founder Jay Holliday), whose mission is the same as ours…to make a difference in the lives of the kids in need with a Superhero/Star Wars/Disney “human” touch, to bring a huge smile to kids and their families, an experience they will probably never forget for the rest of their lives. Thank you Kids Can Cosplay for the opportunity for us to join you in this tremendous endeavor!”Justin and Nathan Wu